Skip links


The Park

What are the park hours?

Overton Park is open daily from dawn to dusk. There is no admission fee for the park, although cultural institutions such as the Memphis Zoo and Brooks Museum have entrance fees.

How do I access the park?

Visitors can access Overton Park on foot, by bicycle or scooter, by car, or via the #50 MATA bus. The park has two Explore Bike Share stations: one in front of Memphis College of Art adjacent to the Greensward, and one at East Parkway Pavilion. Limited parking is available in lots at Rainbow Lake Playground, the Abe Goodman Golf Clubhouse, East Parkway Pavilion, and on the park roads. No motorized vehicles are permitted within the Old Forest State Natural Area or on grass.

Are there restrooms?

Restrooms are available at Rainbow Lake Pavilion and East Parkway Pavilion. They lock automatically at dusk and re-open at dawn.

Are dogs allowed?

Dogs are welcome in Overton Park. All dogs must be leashed unless inside the gates at the Overton Bark dog park.

Is camping allowed?

Park hours are dawn to dusk daily. No overnight camping is allowed in Overton Park.

Can I drink alcohol at the park?

No, alcohol is prohibited in public places without a permit from the City of Memphis.

May I smoke cigarettes in the park?

No, smoking is prohibited in Overton Park.

Are grills allowed in Overton Park?

Yes. Please use the coal bins or take the used coals with you for disposal.

Can I bring an inflatable to the park?

Yes, but only if you have a paid event reservation with Overton Park Conservancy. Generators are not allowed in Overton Park (with the exception of food trucks and events with Certificate of Liability Insurance) – inflatables must be powered by receptacles provided through rental contracts. You are required to rent from one of the companies on our approved vendor list for insurance purposes. Please contact us at 901-658-4795 for more information.

Can I release balloons in the park? Can I have a water balloon fight in the park?

No, neither are permitted on Overton Park grounds. 

Can I bring a canopy tent for my picnic?

Yes, 10×10 foot canopies are allowed without a supplemental permit from the City of Memphis. 

I have a food truck (mobile restaurant), may I vend in the park?

Yes, if you have obtained a permit from Overton Park Conservancy. Please contact us at 901-658-4795 for more information.

I have other items to sell such as t-shirts; may I vend in the park?

No. Vending in the park is prohibited by the City of Memphis with the exception of mobile restaurants (food trucks).

How much does it cost to maintain Overton Park?

It costs about $1 million annually to keep the park clean and welcoming. The Conservancy receives annual funding from the City of Memphis for about 15% of its budget, and must raise the remaining 85% from private donors.

How do I become a member?

A donation of any amount makes you a member of Overton Park Conservancy. Make your one-time or monthly gift at, send a check to Overton Park Conservancy at 1914 Poplar Avenue, Suite 202, Memphis, TN 38104, or call us at 901-214-5450.

Monthly donors of $20 and above (or annual donors of $240 and above) become members of our Roots Giving Society and receive invitations to special donor events. Annual donors of $1,000 and above become members of our Canopy Giving Society, with additional special event invitations and opportunities to sponsor a day in Overton Park.